Monday 21 November 2011

Piranhas Attack Swimmers Off Brazil Beach

Thousands of flesh-eating piranhas have been attacking swimmers off a river beach in western Brazil - with at least 15 people suffering injuries.


The creatures have infested the waters of the Paraguay river off the city of Caceres' Daveron beach, in Mato Grosso state.

Officials say it is the first time they have had a problem with piranhas in the area, where the aggressive fish began schooling about two weeks ago.

Elson de Campos Pinto, 22, was among those attacked.

"I took a dip in the river and when I stood up, I felt pain in my foot," he told Globo TV's G1 website.
"I saw that I had lost the tip of my toe. I took off running out of the river, afraid that I would be further attacked because of the blood. I'm not going back in for a long time."

Firefighter Raul Castro de Oliveira told G1: "People have got to be very careful. If they're bitten, they've got to get out of the water rapidly and not allow the blood to spread."

Read more here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis