Thursday 5 December 2013

Thanksgiving Relief for Research Chimpanzees: "Free" At Last

President Obama signs bill to support retirement of chimpanzees to sanctuaries

As I was writing a paper this morning I received an email asking why tears of joy frequently accompany messages of hope, and just as I was responding to this note I saw a brief essay in theNew York Times that brought tears to my eyes. Yes, tears can and do flow in many different venues and express deep feelings that can range from stilling sadness and grief to unbounded and contagious joy. I was also sort of watching the news and despite my being a card-carrying and unflinching optimist, as I was making a list of all of the things for which I was thankful and hopeful a nanosecond of doubt pierced my heart. But, just then, I discovered the New York Times piece.

Titled "Retirement Secured for Chimpanzees", I learned that President Obama had signed a bill "removing a cap on spending for federally owned chimpanzees in sanctuaries." His doing so "allows the National Institutes of Health to spend money to support the chimps in retirement that would have been used to support them in research labs."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis