Sunday 13 September 2015

Rare pink dolphin reappears in Lousiana; may be pregnant


SEPTEMBER 9, 2015

by Susanna Pilny


In 2007, a charter boat captain on Lake Charles in Louisiana had a bit of a shock when a baby dolphin surfaced—and it was pink.

"It was absolutely, stunningly pink," Erik Rue, the captain, said in 2007. "I had never seen anything like it. It's the same color throughout the whole body. It looks like it just came out of a paint booth."

Since then, “Pinkie” has become a bit of a local sensation. Rue actually takes people on chartered boat trips in hopes of seeing her. But besides ferrying around customers, Rue has kept a sharp eye on her.

“I believe I’m [the] first one who saw her and I know I’m the first one to take pictures of her,” Rue told ABC. “I’ve learned a lot since I’ve spend [sic] a lot of time following her around.”

Thanks to his attentiveness, Rue has solved one of the mysteries surrounding the dolphin: her sex. A couple weeks ago, he spotted Pinkie mating, after some observation, discovered she’s, well, a she. “I’ve taken a ton of pictures of her mating and it proved she’s a female,” he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis